The Technically Challenged Villan

Home Forums Who’s That Villain? The Technically Challenged Villan

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tea Silvestre 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

TreasuredGuest
    Participant

The Villans in the photographic world

Internal

My clients feel like that can’t learn a new skill.
    My clients don’t think they can be creative.

External
    My clients are concerned that taking up a new hobby will take up too much time and money
    My clients’ spouses don’t share the same passion they do

Conscious
    They know they lack the technical knowledge and the “spray and pray” technique isn’t going to get them where they want to be photographically
    They know they can’t read the manual that comes with the camera to get the knowledge they need

Unconscious
    They want to put a creative mark in the world before it’s too late
    They want someone to hold their hand while they learn it.

The Technically Challenged Villan

The Technically Challenged VillanThis guy absolutely loves photography, but doesn’t know why he’s not getting “the shot”. All his friends say he has “an eye” (hee, hee) for photography, but he doesn’t understand basic photographic theory. He desperately wants to learn to create intentionally beautiful imagery, but doesn’t know how to get there.
    He thinks the “spray and pray” technique will get him there, but deep down, knows it won’t. (“Spray and Pray” is a term used when a novice photographer takes 500 shots hoping one will be the lucky image.)

He doesn’t understand why all of his images from his vacation come out over exposed and he can’t get those beautiful images he sees in magazines. He thinks he is creative enough to get those type of images, but can’t quite figure it out.

What is this painful? It’s painful for photographers that have been shooting a good part of their life and never seem to come up with anything spectacular. They continue to shoot and bring their camera with them every where they go and even throw money at it, lots of money at it, and it doesn’t get any better. Their compositions may improve, but if they don’t have the technical and creative knowledge, they won’t rise to the level they would like.
    Why does it continue? It seems to the general public that photography could be an easy art to pick up and master because everyone has a camera right? They all have automatic functions, right? How hard could it be?

This is the most important aspect of the client’s pain because it is the root of the problem. In today’s world everybody wants a quick fix, and it’s true with photography as well. Just because the camera has automatic functions on it doesn’t mean that the camera knows what’s the best shot or the best creative exposure. I would venture to say it doesn’t know, it’s just guessing. The cameras aren’t good enough to analyze a scene and discover the best creative opportunity to shoot.

Future Blog Post -
People want to learn to perfect their shooting. They have been a photographer all their life but were missing the technical education to improve their work. I know about that first hand.

Anonymous

I love the idea of a blog post arouond this topic. You can help so many people by reassuring them that with a little education and some guidance they can become the photographer they want to be.

Tea Silvestre
    Keymaster

I hear you about the seeing it in your mind’s eye and not being able to get it out your fingers, tho’ I would say that sometimes, if you approach the shooting as an experiment, you can learn interesting things about how to work with your equipment.

Point and shoot, and I often work with its limitations to get the effects I’m looking for. Tho’ even there, I admit, there is far more learning to be done, and from an expert would be lovely.

You doing just Iphone? Or are you offering for point-and-shoots in general too?

TreasuredGuest
    Participant

Thanks Sarah for the ongoing support and encouragement!

Birdy, we do mainly Digital SLR and point and shoots as well as iPhone (iPhone is so popular, I talk about it a lot). The largest part of our market is Digital SLR (those cameras with removable lenses.)

Tea Silvestre
    Keymaster

Awesome, Holly! Getting a digital SLR is on my Dream List. One of my hesitations has been that I don’t really know what I’m doing and an SLR you can’t get away with ‘point + pray’, as far as I know, so this is great! Now I know where to go when I get one, so I can learn to do things properly.

Thank you most kindly! 🙂 :>O<:

Tea Silvestre
    Keymaster

I think my Dad fell into this category. Have any clients who had this villain told you how it feels – and how they’d feel if they could take the photos they want?

I have a hunch if you can bring those emotions up, and share a story at the end of your blog post about someone taking that shot and feeling <relief, pride, amazement, satisfactions, whathaveyou> that it may truly resonate with someone struggling.

What movie is that character from? I don’t watch kid movies obviously…

TreasuredGuest
    Participant

Thanks Lisa. I like the emotions after “getting the shot”.

TreasuredGuest
      Participant

Oh and Lisa, the character is a “minion” from “Despicable Me”. Very cute movie. I don’t watch kids movies either, but my hairdresser insisted! I want to go see DM2 in the theater. It’s that good.

Tea Silvestre
    Keymaster

Lisa gets bonus points for bringing up the emotions. These are critical for making the connections with your potential clients. We are moved by emotion to action (energy = E + Motion).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.